Over the last few
weeks I've written about becoming a "Lighthouse of Prayer" in our neighborhoods,
schools or places of work, and so far I've addressed five questions: What is a
Lighthouse? Who can be a Lighthouse? Why should I become a Lighthouse? Why do
Lighthouses work effectively? Who should I reach out to? and How should I
pray?
To put it briefly, a
Lighthouse of Prayer is a person or family who takes the responsibility to pray
for his/her neighborhood, school or place of work, to seek opportunities to care
for the people there, and to seek opportunities to share the love of Christ with
the people there-prayer, care, share. Being a Lighthouse is that simple and
anyone who knows Jesus Christ can do this! For today I want to answer three more
questions.
First, how do I get
started? Start with a prayer of confession for any failure to pray, or care or
share in the past. Then make a Lighthouse prayer list beginning with those who
are closest and most open to you. Make a commitment to pray for them at least
five times a week. Ask the Holy Spirit for the help you will need to do this.
Set a regular time and place, if possible, to pray for those on your list. Start
immediately or sometime within the next 24 hours. The longer you delay the
harder it will be to start, so why not start today!
Second, as I pray
for people, how should I care for them? Start by building a relationship with
each person you are praying for. Learn as much as you can about them-the names
of family members, their work, friends, interests, concerns and needs. Try to
understand what life is really like for friends, acquaintances and coworkers by
putting yourself in their shoes. Do acts of kindness. Love people just for the
sake of loving them! Remember how much they matter to God. Let God love them
through you without ulterior motives. Freely you have received from Christ, now
freely give for the glory of Christ.
Third, how should I
share with people? In order to be saved people must somehow "hear" the good news
(Romans 10:14). Do what you can to make sure that happens. Ask the Lord to open
a door of opportunity for you to personally present the gospel. Give them a
tract or book or video that focuses on Christ, involve them in a Bible study or
take them to a church service or an evangelistic event where they will hear a
gospel message, or share the gospel with them yourself. And as you do, remember
that "the gospel ... is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who
believes" (Romans 1:16). In other words, trust that as you share the Word of God
the Holy Spirit will move by the power of God and work in people's lives. It's
not about you and how you share, but about God and how much he loves to seek and
save the lost.
Being a
Lighthouse-prayer, care, share-is really that simple so why not start today and
see what the Lord will do?
With hope and joy in
Christ,
Pastor
Charlie Handren
Glory of Christ Fellowship
Elk River, Minnesota