Jimmy Driskell, who lived in our community, was shot and killed in his home four weeks ago. The following week I met his aunt, who gave me his mother's name and number. I called her, and she had still not been able to have a funeral or bury Jimmy's body due to lack of funds. Grace Church was able to help, and our pastoral team officiated the funeral. We were able to preach the gospel to many in our community at the service, and have had many many opportunities to commend Jesus to our neighbors since. This is one of the many strange works of providence the Lord is using to allow Grace to commend Him Whom we cherish to our broken inner-city context. I saw another fight and shooting happen last night across the street from my house. Thankfully (miraculously) no one in the crowd was hurt (though I saw the gun pointed directly at the crowd and fired!). As a result I was able to commend Jesus to several, and speak into the chaos with Peace.Every Saturday and Wednesday in the recent months folks from Grace Church have been prayer-walking and evangelizing our crime-infested neighborhood. This ministry "just happened" without any church-sanctioned organization, and so many in the church are involved (even many I'd not suspect to get after it, but are. Me of little faith!). We've seen all sorts of good things spring up as a result (evangelistic basketball outreach in the local community center, a Sunday evening children's bible study that now draws around 20 kids weekly, an Urban Girls Camp (Led by Grace's ladies, coming this weekend), and quite a bit more). We're encouraged. Its a glorious mess. Ephesians 1:3
Blessings,
Jordan